Friday, September 14, 2012

Agreeing with Mel Two Days in a Row

This might be a sign of the Apocalypse, but I just agreed with Mel Karmazin for the second time in one week. Earlier this week he pointed out that radio doesn't do a good job of investing in programming (he would know--Mel notoriously had to personally approve any expenditure over $500 when he ran CBS). Well, imagine my surprise when I read in this morning's RAMP Newsletter, that...

"The Wall Street Journal reports that during this week's Bank Of America Merrill Lynch 2012 Media, Communications, and Telecommunications Conference in Los Angeles, SiriusXM CEO Mel Karmazin was candid when asked about his future under (49.7% stockholder) Liberty control. "My instincts today are that Liberty does not need me at the company," Karmazin said, adding, "I have historically been expensive."

Re-read that last sentence. Remember last year when he said that he was one of the most underpaid CEOs in the country?

I wonder if Mel has been hit with a truth hammer.