Wednesday, October 17, 2012

The Debate

I watched it last night (although I missed the first fifteen minutes because of a Cub Scout pack meeting). I watched all the pundits afterwards too. They all seemed to think Obama won. I agree with them, but not for the same reason.

To me, last night proved once and for all what I've always suspected but never knew for sure until I saw it in action--Mitt Romney is the walking, talking, caricature of the completely unlikable CEOs I created in my novel "$everance". I studied CEOs for years before I wrote that book, and Mitt Romney could play one of them in the movie.

Just to be clear, those are NOT the heroes of my story.

Last night Romney didn't show strength, he showed contempt and disrespect. The way he talked to the President of the United States was shameful. The way he talked to the moderator was downright rude. That's the real guy right there, not the one that puts on the phony smile and says he cares about the 100%. (Have you heard a more insincere thing in your life?) The real Mitt Romney is the guy we saw on that 47% tape.

Until last night I wasn't sure. I thought, "Well maybe he was just pandering to those people too." But when he walked around that stage like he owned the place, I knew. There's only one kind of person that does that so casually and easily. It's the kind of person I instantly dislike when I meet them in real life.

I had doubts until last night. I no longer do.