Wednesday, February 06, 2013

The Bad Boy Radio Trial

The Tampa Bay Times has the first interview with the forewoman of the Bubba the Love Sponge trial in Tampa. Actually, it's an e-mail, but it pretty much sums up how people like Bubba and MJ (the other defendant) have made people in Tampa feel about radio...

She wrote: "I hated this case. 'Hate' is not a word used often in my vocabulary, but I hated it. I hate the word 'whore.' I did not count (though, sitting through over 60 hours of testimony, I had plenty of time to), but I assume I heard the word 'whore' upwards of a hundred times. As a woman, I hate what it implies...I'm not a fan, to be honest, of either party. Upholding the First Amendment doesn't mean we support Bubba the Love Sponge or his opinions in his show. For me, as a woman, it was important to make that clear...Nobody wants to sit around and listen to two men call each other names. I work with 12-year-olds; I do that with them and try to teach them better...I love that I have some awesome CDs in my car. I am never listening to the radio again."

So proud to have been associated with the medium for half of my life.