Friday, June 14, 2013

You're Really Not Paranoid



I've been getting a kick out of the Daily Show's bits this week about NSA spying. They are calling the segment--The Good News Is: You're Really Not Paranoid.

Of course my beat is the media business, and I know that I sometimes come off sounding a bit paranoid about the people who run that business. For instance, I wonder why the annual meeting of the media moguls in Idaho is off-the-record and notoriously secretive. I point out the monopolistic urges of the old media giants, and the new whippersnappers coming onto the scene. Sometimes when I write these things, I think I must be paranoid, because I look around and it seems that precious few people even care.

And then, I read this today from the court case regarding the fixing of e-book prices...

A high-level Apple executive admitted his company's deal with publishers caused some e-book prices to rise, giving weight to the government's accusation that Apple's machinations hurt consumers. Eddy Cue, Apple's senior vice president of Internet software and services, who took the stand Thursday in district court in lower Manhattan, also said Apple considered splitting the market with Amazon in a setup where Apple would control the music market, while Amazon would monopolize books.

Emphasis added by me. Just read that sentence again.

The good news is, I'm really not paranoid.

CNET has the full story