Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Heidelberg High School Fight Song

I have two boys in high school right now, so every now and then something will spark a long-buried memory from my own high school days. My first three years of high school (77-78, 78-79, 79-80) I attended Heidelberg High School in Germany. It was an American school for military kids (and Department of Defense civiilians like my dad).

After hearing about a recent pep rally at my son's school, I thought back to the pep rallies we held at Heidelberg High. I distinctly remember that we ended our pep rallies by singing the Heidelberg High School fight song. It was sung to the tune of the Notre Dame fight song, and if I'm not mistaken (please correct me fellow HHS grads if I'm wrong), we actually sang the following words in the school gymnasium in front of all our teachers and supervisors without anyone complaining...

Beer, beer for Heidelberg High,
You bring the whiskey,
I'll bring the rye.
Send some FRESHMEN out for gin,
And don't let the sober SOPHOMORES in.
(SECOND VERSE From my fellow HHS grads on Facebook):
JUNIORS never stumble,
SENIORS never fall.
We sober up on grain alcohol.
When we yell we yell like hell for the glory of Heidelberg High

When your class was mentioned (Freshman, sophomores, etc) you were expected to scream that word as loud as you could, and the loudest class was somehow recognized or had bragging rights or something. Again, it's all fuzzy. (Maybe I took the words too literally, and what I'm experiencing is the long-term damage of going out for whiskey, rye or gin).

Today, this song would be unthinkable. It would lead to mass suspensions or discipline. In the 1970s in Germany, it was our actual school fight song.