Tuesday, February 04, 2014

A Sure-Fire Argument Starter

The WXRT website has a list of 10 of the worst and most overrated rock songs. I couldn't agree more about three of the songs on their list, but I also like three of the songs quite a bit. There's no way everyone will agree. Discussing bad or overrated songs is a sure way to start an argument. My list will probably start just as many arguments, if not more. Please note--I like all of these artists and bands, just not these songs.

Ready? Here goes...

"Layla" by Derek and the Dominoes
It's not terrible, it's just OK, and definitely not worthy of it's radio (over) airplay.

"She Loves You" by the Beatles
That's right. I said it. Yeah, yeah, yeah. (Disclaimer: My feelings about this song may be slightly influenced by working at an Oldies station and playing it every single day for ten years)

"Do Wah Diddy" by Mannfred Mann
See the disclaimer above.

"Eclipse" by Pink Floyd
Ugh. I can't change the station quickly enough.

"Hurts So Good" by John Cougar Mellencamp
He evolved after that one.

"Peaceful Easy Feeling" by the Eagles
It's nice, but it's not rock and roll. To my ear, they didn't really rock until Joe Walsh joined the band.

"Sweet Child of Mine" by Guns & Roses
Where do we go, where do we go, now? I go to the next song.

"Take the Money & Run" by Steve Miller
The grammatical mistakes in this song are like nails on a chalkboard to me. He took the money and ran, Steve. That's the way you say it in English.

"Ruby Tuesday" by the Rolling Stones
Wow are they bad singers, but they never sounded worse than they do on this one. My dog howls during the harmonies.

"Let 'Em In" by Paul McCartney
You know how much I love Paul, and the melody on this song is actually pretty darn catchy, but wow are these lyrics stupid. They couldn't be more stupid.