Wednesday, April 09, 2014

Media Spotlight--April 9


Every weekday in 2014, I'll be keeping an eye on what's happening in the media. My focus will be on some of my favorite subjects...the moguls, the pundits, the broadcast news biz, show business, and the publishing business. (Read "$everance" if you want a crystallization of my positions on those subjects.) And, of course, I'll also keep tabs on Chicago's media.


Chicago Media

~The Latest on the Cubs Broadcast Plans
Lewis Lazarre of Chicago Business Journal says that WBBM-AM has the inside track.

~Steve Harvey's in the NAB Hall of Fame
Tom Taylor's column has a few highlights from his speech yesterday...
Steve Harvey obviously knew the NAB honor was a big deal, but he’s a professional funny guy, and here are a couple of lines from his appearance that ran over-time (though nobody complained). First, he acknowledged the winners of the Crystal Awards, saying those stations are “giving to the community, helping Habitat for Humanity, feeding hungry people…it’s radio the way it should be done.” Then he jokes about the Radio Luncheon food – “That is the biggest piece of free meat I’ve ever seen...I’m scared of my steak.” The onetime Apollo Theater entertainer shares a story from his first radio gig in Chicago, hired by Marv Dyson, recalling that he’d heard a news story about Heineken pulling its ads off a show in London because there were too many black people on it. He urged his listeners to drop their Heinekens “on the [freeway], and they did. I thought it was cool.” But the account executive at the station was “having a brain aneurism” and told Steve “how it was affecting his family. I told him I didn’t give a damn.”

~Chet Coppock
Polishing up my latest Illinois Entertainer column. Due date is tomorrow. Release date is May 1. What does Chet talk about? Let's just say that he isn't holding back.


The Moguls

~Opposing the Merger
Groups opposed to the Time Warner/Comcast merger are doing something that Time Warner and Comcast must support. They are merging. Details at Media Bistro.

Broadcast News

~Fox News Coverage of Climate Change is Now More Scientifically Accurate!
They used to contain inaccurate or misleading statements in 93% of their reports. They are now only inaccurate 72% of the time! Congratulations. (Note: These figures come from a scientific organization, so they obviously can't be trusted. We all know about that giant worldwide scientists-conspiracy)

Showbiz

~Julia Louis Dreyfuss nude on cover of Rolling Stone
Can you spot the problem in this photo? It took me a minute to see it too. The writing on her back is the U.S. Constitution, but it also has John Hancock's signature. The problem with that is John Hancock didn't sign the constitution--he only signed the Declaration of Independence. (Don't worry...I also noticed she's nude. I'm an old curmudgeon. Not a dead one.)

~FX Networks Plan For the Simpsons
T-Dog Media summarizes the details that are behind the paywall of Broadcasting & Cable for those of us (I'm raising my hand) too cheap to subscribe.