Monday, August 04, 2014

I'm Not Quite There Yet

I feel this screenwriter's pain. He calls his Village Voice piece: I Will Not Read Your F***ing Script

Like the screenwriter in this piece, I am inundated with people sending me things they have written (all publishers are). Like the screenwriter in this piece, I have two piles--a must read pile, and a want to read pile. My must read pile is so big I don't even have time to read it all. My want to read pile is from friends and people I admire. Those are the people I feel terrible for, because it's going to take me months to crack that pile, and they check back with me regularly to check on my progress. Like the writer of the piece, I feel a constant extreme guilt about this.

I can't say yes to everyone for obvious reasons, but the writer of the piece articulates another less obvious reason. It's the ultimate Catch 22. If I say I won't read it, I'm a dick. If I say I will read and don't, I'm a dick. If I read it and don't like it and tell you that, I'm a dick. If I read it and don't like it and lie to you and say I love it, I'm a dick.

My solution is to very carefully pick and choose who I agree to read.

His solution is to say to everyone: I will not read your f***ing script.

I'm not quite there yet. I made a vow to myself years ago when I was working so hard at getting published that I would always remember that helpless "nobody will read my stuff" feeling if the shoe was ever on the other foot. I'm trying. I really am. I just never knew there was also a helpless "I don't have time to read this" feeling on the other side.