Friday, November 07, 2014

ESPN Radio Wars

From this morning's Radio Ink...

Radio wars, for the most part, seem to be a thing of yesteryear. When they were in vogue, typically it pitted one competing radio station against another. On Wednesday, the radio war was between two hosts working for the same company. Bill Simmons seems to be a magnet for controversy lately. Yesterday he was called out by ESPN morning show co-host Mike Golic. Then, it was on. On the Colin Cowherd Show, Simmons said Lebron James was not as formidable as he was in Miami. Golic, on the Mike & Mike Show, said, “I think it’s one of the most ridiculous statements I’ve heard four games into a season in my life in any sport." Then, typical of how confrontations play out nowadays, the fight moved to Tweets and Simmons went on his second Twitter rant in just a few months. The first Tweet from Simmons: "What Mike and Mike did today was absolute garbage. I would say I lost respect for that show, but I never had it." Then another, "For an ESPN Radio show to pull an interview out of context from another ESPN Radio show, then play the moral authority card, is disgusting." And another, "Have the balls to call me to discuss it on the show. Don't pull it out of context just because you need fodder for a segment. Pathetic.

There's more at the link. I've always liked Golic, so my inclination is to side with him.