Monday, March 02, 2015

Green White Schlachtfest

What were you doing on Saturday night? I was the MC of a soccer banquet.

Green White staged our annual Schlachtfest on Saturday night (February 28th), and a great time was had by one and all. The Johnny Wagner band provided the music, and the club provided the festival of meat--including the famous Zimmer Hungarian sausages. A big crowd (over 300) showed up for the event, including our many longtime members, plus a large contigent of players from the first team, over 30s and over 40 teams, and quite a few members from our youth division.

We gave out a number of awards, including the First Team MVP (Monroe Bell Jr.) and the over-40 MVP (Barnacus Hernandez), and a we recognized club senior VP Jon Duddles for his dedication and service to the club. Jon is the man who runs our Steve Zimmer Memorial Tournament every summer.

It's also become a Schlachtfest tradition to crown Miss Green White, and Miss Green White 2015 is Elayna Mork (granddaughter of longtime member Fritz Spiess). Elayna gave an eloquent speech about what the club means to her and her family.

I used to dread doing these events--I'm not a big fan of speaking in public (despite my radio background) But as I'm getting older, I enjoy it more and more. And I enjoy seeing old friends and eating some incredibly delicious German food.

Thanks Green White for asking me