Friday, April 10, 2015

A Radio Stalker

This is a terrifying story from the RAMP Newsletter. Everyone who has ever been in radio has encountered some sort of stalking issue, but for women it's much scarier...

Over the years, many of us in the radio industry have casually tossed around the old "Play Misty For Me" reference when discussing a particularly over-zealous fan. However, in the case of Mary Lucia of Minnesota Public Radio's KCMP (89.3 The Current)/Minneapolis, that frightening scenario is all-too-real -- and deadly serious. Lucia recently revealed that she's been dealing with a stalker for over a year, and due to the emotional toll this situation has exacted upon her, Lucia announced she's taking a leave of absence from a job she loves. In a candid letter posted on The Current's website, Lucia gave her listeners some insight into what her life has become as a result of this personal terror, as she wrote, "My friends, This has been a tough year for me. I have been stalked; by someone I do not know, at both work and home. I hope no one else ever has to go through this. My life over the last year has involved a series of restraining orders, seemingly endless calls to 911, the installation of security cameras at home, and police photo ID line-ups. I've been constantly looking over my shoulder, dead-bolting doors, and jumping when someone rings my doorbell or my motion lights go off."

The station's PD is taking over for her while she's away. I know him--his name is Jim McGuinn. He worked with me in Champaign. Jim's a good guy. Mary is lucky to have an understanding boss. Hopefully she can reclaim some normalcy in her life.