Wednesday, June 03, 2015

Tom Hanks' Son & the N-Word

Did you know that Tom Hanks' son is a rapper? His stage name is Chet Haze.

He posted something on social media yesterday talking about the N-word and why he feels he should have the right to use it. You can read that here.

The gist of his argument is that he identifies with this culture and it's an important word in that culture. I have one big question, and I'm not trying to be snarky about this. How can a white billionaire's son possibly relate to that culture? I'm serious. I can see a poor white guy relating, or one that has faced struggle or hardship, but Tom Hanks' son? I can even see liking the music, the beats, the words and the rhythym, but relating to the culture? Am I missing something here?

I probably am. Please disregard the unfiltered thoughts of a clearly aging man.