Wednesday, July 01, 2015

RIP Dr. Brock

Another former Super-CFL jock died this weekend. Dr Brock, the self-proclaimed "ugliest mother in rock and roll". From this morning's All Access...



Longtime radio veteran WILLIAM GRADY BROCK passed away SUNDAY, JUNE 28th at the age of 66. BROCK spent 42 years in radio, most notably as DR. BROCK on the iconic Top 40 WCFL-A (SUPER CFL)/CHICAGO.




Brock had a hand in the creation of John Landecker's "Boogie Check" although he may never have known it. This is an excerpt from John Landecker's book "Records Truly Is My Middle Name"...

A lot of people ask me where I came up with the name. Well, I called it “Boogie Check” because of something J.J. Jeffrey did before he went out on dates. He used to conduct a sixty second “booger check” to make sure he didn’t have any boogers in his mustache. I figured, if you could have a sixty second booger check, why not a sixty second “Boogie” check? My competition at WCFL (our arch rival station) was a guy named Dr. Brock, and his calling card was the word “Boogie.” I figured I would tweak him, and have some fun, so I just started answering the phones live on the air by saying “Boogie Check. You talkin’ to me?” (the last line taken from Robert DeNiro’s character in Taxi Driver). If the person on the other end of the line didn’t respond quickly, I hung up on them, and went to the next line.