Thursday, September 17, 2015

George Costanza's Favorite Writer Gets Pink Slip

Yesterday I told you that the LA Times and other Tribune properties were making massive cuts to their editorial staff. Today it's the New York Daily News.

Would you believe they fired Mike Lupica?

George Costanza has to be heartbroken. This is one of my all-time favorite Seinfeld scenes...

Mr. Lippman: Who do you read?

George: I like Mike Lupica.

Mr. Lippman: Mike Lupica?

George: He’s a sports writer for the Daily News. I find him very insightful…

Mr. Lippman: No, no, no. I mean authors.

George: Lot of good ones…lot of good ones. Uh, I-I don’t even want to mention anyone because I’m afraid I’m going to leave somebody out.

Mr. Lippman: Name a couple.

George: W-Who do I like? I like, uh…Art…Vandelay.

Mr. Lippman: Art Vandelay?

George: He’s an obscure writer. Beatnik, from the village.

Mr. Lippman: What’s he written?

George: …Venetian Blinds.