Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Turns Out Steve Miller is Also Kind of a Jag

I applauded Steve Miller's comments about being forced to pay big bucks for his band at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame ceremony. That is BS--inductees should be treated better. But it also turns out that Steve Miller treated the band who inducted him badly, and they had nothing to do with that surcharge. They were there as his fans.

Now realize that this was printed in Rolling Stone Magazine, and the magazine's founder is a also a founder of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, but it's clear the Black Keys weren't being coerced to say what they said. This is part of Rolling Stone's interview with Black Keys leader Dan Auerbach, and I think you can get a true feel for Steve Miller's character...

What do you think about what's happened the past four days?

Um, well, I guess Pat and I definitely... [Pauses] I guess we felt, I don't know, we read a lot of things and we got a really uncomfortable feeling when we first met Steve. He had no idea who we were. No idea. The first thing he told us was, "I can't wait to get out of here." He knew that we signed up to do this speech for him. And he made no effort to even [laughs uncomfortably] — he didn't even figure out who we were. I don't live in New York City. This is like three days out of my life flying from Nashville and leaving my kids at home. It was just a real eye-opener for us. Because as we get older, I hope that when I'm in my twilight years, I can look back and be grateful to the people who have appreciated me and to be able to give back. Because music is about sharing and passing on inspiration and that was his opportunity to do that; not just lashing out in a way that was just completely unfocused.

What was your initial reaction when you realized that he didn't know or care who you were?

Pat and I were both definitely disappointed, to say the least. But you never really know what to expect when you meet quote unquote "superstars." Rock & roll superstars, it used to be different for them. Playing stadiums and selling millions and millions of albums. It's almost like he doesn't have respect for the younger generations and how hard it is in the business today. When he made his first record, he did it at Olympic Studios with Glyn Johns. Pat and I made our first record in a basement with broken gear. But we were there for the same reasons. Because we love music and because I felt like we had a connection just because I come from a place where I love blues music and so does he. And at least we had that connection, but that ended up not mattering in the end.