Tuesday, November 29, 2016

The Grammy Hall of Fame

I didn't realize that the Grammy Hall of Fame existed, but now that I know, I'm mildly obsessed about it. I learned the news from Oldies music expert (and author and programmer and former jock) Ron Smith, who posted this on his facebook page...

The Grammy Hall of Fame announced the 25 recordings that will be inducted as the Class of 2017 Tuesday. They include Elvis Presley’s “Jailhouse Rock”, the Beach Boys’ “I Get Around”, “You Don’t Own Me” from Lesley Gore, “Wake Up Little Susie” by the Everly Brothers, Dion’s “The Wanderer”, “I Got You Babe” by Sonny & Cher, “Maggie May” from Rod Stewart, “Thank You Falletinme Be Mice Elf Agin” from Sly & the Family Stone, Deep Purple’s “Smoke On The Water”, “Changes” from David Bowie, the Jackson 5’s “ABC”, Arlo Guthrie’s recording of “City Of New Orleans” and Lalo Schiffrin’s “Mission Impossible” theme. 1,038 songs have now been added to the Hall of Fame, all of which are at least 25 years old.

Can't really argue with any of those choices. "You Don't Own Me" by Lesley Gore has been an earworm for me ever since that Toyota ad started running. We played the poop out of it at Oldies 104.3, so I got pretty sick of it for a decade or so, but I can listen to it again now...



The full Grammy Hall of Fame list is here.