Monday, February 05, 2018

Fred Winston

Thanks so much to Robert Feder who mentioned my latest interview with Fred Winston in his column this morning...

Illinois Entertainer’s February issue checks in with Chicago radio legend Fred Winston. “I guess I am retired,” he told Rick Kaempfer, “although I don’t feel like it’s done. I’m always reticent to say that I’m done now because I do feel like I could drop back behind the mic and with a little DW40 in the mouth, I could pick up where I left off.” Winston, 71, who first joined WLS AM 890 in 1971 when it was a Top 40 powerhouse, last worked full-time in 2013 at classic hits WLS FM 94.7. He’s busier than ever on his Berrien County farm in Southwest Michigan. “The frustrating thing about being a gentleman farmer . . . are the many tiny engines that need spark plugs and oil changes. Rather than flap my mouth, I now bang my knuckles.”

You can read the entire Fred interview here.