Monday, July 16, 2018

World Cup Final

I thought it was a pretty entertaining final game (6 goals!) and although I think France never really played up to their capabilities, they are a deserving champion. Makes you wonder how good they can be. They are still a very young team.

A few observations about the game...

#1: France is notoriously anti-immigration and anti-Muslim but the majority of the players that won that game for them yesterday were one or the other.

#2: I was just remarking to my wife that the World Cup had gone on without a hitch, when those people ran out onto the field. Turns it out it was the dissident Russian rock group Pussy Riot, reminding us that Russia is still a brutal dictatorship. Nicely done.

#3: Even though all of my favorite teams lost (I was even going for Croatia in the final), I think this was one of the best World Cups ever. Great teams. Great games. Great sport. I'm already sad it's over.