Wednesday, July 10, 2019

Terri Hemmert

From Robert Feder's column this morning...

Terri Hemmert signed off as midday personality at WXRT 93.1-FM Tuesday with the sincerity and class she’s brought to the Entercom adult album alternative station for 45 years. Saying her goal still was to meet every member of the ’XRT family, she added: “And if you listen to this radio station, you are part of the family.” Hemmert’s last three songs: The Beatles’ “The Long and Winding Road,” “Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight” and “In My Life.” The Radio Hall of Famer will continue to host her Sunday morning “Breakfast with The Beatles” program and fill in for other on-air hosts throughout the year. Effective today, WXRT’s new Monday-through-Friday lineup will be: Lin Brehmer and Mary Dixon from 5:30 to 10 a.m.; Richard Milne from 10 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.; Marty Lennartz from 2:30 to 7 p.m.; Ryan Arnold from 7 p.m. to midnight; and Emma Mac from midnight to 5:30 a.m. (An earlier announcement by the station misstated the start date.)

Here's a strange sidenote about Terri. Despite the fact that I was in Chicago radio for 20+ years, and have been writing about it since the early 90s, and desptite the fact that my Radio Producer's Handbook was used as a textbook at Columbia College (where she teaches), and despite my love for the Beatles (and attendance at Beatles Fest), and despite the fact that I have dozens of mutual friends with her, I have never met Terri Hemmert. I e-mailed her once asking for an interview and she never responded. I always figured I'd run into her one day and ask her in person. That day never happened. Odd. I am a fan, though. I've been listening to her since the summer of 1982 when I first discovered WXRT.