Thursday, September 16, 2021

Live Music

 Over the past few years one of the things I've missed the most is live music. I was watching a great Bruce Springsteen concert film last night (from 2001) and I think I figured out why I miss it so much. Music is such a personal thing, and its so hard to put into words how and why it affects you. But in a concert setting you have the opportunity to not only express your love of that music, but you can do it directly to the artists that created it. You are telling them that the time and effort they put into what they created was worth it. That it was a great gift. When you sing along to their words, you are saying thank you, and you see it in their eyes that this makes them happy. You are happy that you can finally, if even in a very small way, pay them back for what they have given you. In a cynical world, its a big loss when this experience disappears, even for a small amount of time.