Tuesday, January 11, 2022

Eckhartz Everyday

 


*On this day in 2017, the Eckhartz Press book Monkey in the Middle was reviewed by Nate Weatherup. His review gives you a good idea of how special this book is...

So two months ago Dobie Maxwell gave me a copy of his book Monkey in the Middle to bring back to LA for a mutual friend and I told him I would, on the condition that I got to read it first (once an English teacher...).

Dobie is a Milwaukee native and longtime Chicago comic. He's one of the first professional comedians I ever met - he hosted my first audition showcase at Zanies in September 2009 - and was definitely the first to ever compliment me on my act and encourage me to keep at it. I've always respected him as a comic and as a mentor, so I just thought it would be fun to read his story, and find out just where Mr. Lucky got his roots.

I got about 70 pages in before life became life and I ran out of free time. I picked it back up two days ago and burned through the last 300 pages about as fast as I've ever read anything.

This book is phenomenal!

It is an incredible, almost unbelievable (unless you know Dobie), story told by a master storyteller: it's compelling, it's unpredictable, and it's laugh out loud funny and emotionally devastating simultaneously. It is straight-shooting honesty and unapologetically flawed. It's Dobie in paperback.

It's the most I've enjoyed reading a book in a very long time (and again, English teacher, I read an awful lot of books).

Go get this book. Do it. Do it now. (Click here)

I have one recommendation before reading it, however - go see his show first. And I say that for three reasons:
1) after seeing the show you'll say "ah, that makes sense," about every three pages.
2) reading the book with Dobie's distinct, Wisconsin, doesn't-give-a-rats-ass voice in your head just makes it that much more enjoyable.
3) it's just a damn good show.

Thanks, Dobie, for the years of kind words and advice, and for one hell of and amazing read.


*Ten years ago today, WGN-TV Morning show producer Jeff Hoover reviewed my book "The Living Wills" (written with Brendan Sullivan). This is what he wrote about it...


I just finished reading "The Living Wills". It is a wonderful book. Truth be told, I am not a big reader. Well, I weigh 175 pounds so maybe that makes me about average. Seriously, I really was surprised at how magical the characters came together as the story unfolded. There were some very touching moments, too. And, a good laugh sprinkled in, of course. Don't take this the wrong way, but reading your book reminded me of one of my favorite movies "Love Actually." Multiple characters and plot lines come together and entertained me from start to finish. Thanks and congratulations! I hope you will continue to explore this unique and rewarding collaboration for all of your new and old fans. Cheers!