Thursday, May 12, 2022

Ivy

 

On this day in 2010, Ivy Kaempfer joined our family. She died about a month ago, and we were shattered. In honor of Ivy's birthday (with us, anyway), I went back into the Father Knows Nothing archives to find the first column I wrote about her. Obviously things got better after this...


Other parents, whose kids were latched on to their legs–refusing to leave the comfort of mom or dad, used to ask me all the time. “What’s your secret?”

“Bad Parenting,” was my standard answer.

I was joking, of course. The real answer was that I had no idea. It’s pure luck as far as I can tell.

I wish I did know the real answer, because we’ve got a puppy with some serious separation anxiety issues. She doesn’t just whine when we leave the house. She whines when we leave the room. She whines when we take a shower. She whines when she can’t see us.

Not all of us, mind you. Just Bridget and me. In that order.

In the morning and evening when Bridget is home, Ivy (the puppy) is right by her side. I mean–she’s practically glued to her. During the day, when I’m the one home, I get the same treatment. The boys? Not so much. Leaving her with them is like leaving her alone. She whines the whole time.

When she isn’t whining, she’s a delight. She’s cute and cuddly and attentive and mild mannered. She protects us when we’re outside. She is totally comfortable in our house and obeys the barriers we’ve set up for her (other than an obsession with fuzzy slippers). She plays with us whenever we want to play. She’s (more or less) potty trained. She’ll even calmly (and without complaint) sit in her crate.

But all of that goes out the window when Bridget and I are not within eyesight. That’s when the separation anxiety kicks in. She gets so worked up, barking and whining and slamming the sides of the cage, that she literally bends the metal bars. She also pees and/or poops and/or vomits when we’re gone for more than an hour.

Then, as soon as we’re home it’s like nothing ever happened.

I’m trying to remember that she was an abandoned dog. I’m trying to remember that she’s just a puppy, and there will be growing pains, and it will take some time.

But I’m really at a loss for what to do. Bad parenting is not going to work this time. She’s got some real experience with bad parenting–her previous owner is in jail.

I have to find the real answer, and fast.



Ivy Kaempfer, 2010-2022