Tuesday, July 26, 2022

From the Writing Archives--Letter from Son's Lawyer


 This week I begin my last week in my 50s. In celebration of that, I'm dipping into the archives every day this week to feature something I've written in the past. This particular piece is a Father Knows Nothing column from 2008. Sean was 6 years old at the time. He is now almost 20. It isn't in the final copy of the book, but it still brings back fond memories for me.
 


A letter I expect to receive

Dear Mr Kaempfer:

I represent your youngest son Sean in the matter of Kaempfer vs. Kaempfer, Kaempfer, Kaempfer, & Kaempfer.

My client concedes that his wallet often includes many many more dollars than he should have at any given time, and he understands why this has aroused your suspicions and led to charges of intra-family theft. However, before you and the rest of the parties to this matter continue to levy these unsubstantiated charges, please consider the following…

*No one has ever witnessed my client actually taking money from someone else. Just because your wallet is short $5 and his wallet has $5 extra doesn’t prove a thing. The police department cannot and will not pursue this matter without an eye-witness account.

*My client’s claim of "magical money powers" has never been disproved. The burden of proof here clearly falls on the shoulders of those accusing him of theft.

*My client is quite cute and has been known to receive money from old people simply because of that cuteness.

*While my client has been known to say "finders keepers, losers weepers," this in no way proves that he is picking up any and all change he finds around the house and keeping it. It’s quite possible that he has some sort of a magnetic imbalance in his pocket-area that attracts the coins. Surely medical considerations should be taken into account.

*Has anyone considered that he may have earned that money legitimately? While gambling isn’t technically legal for someone his age, it also isn’t technically theft. Ban his gambling today, and you’ll kill his dream of playing professional Go Fish tomorrow.

*Even if someone were to prove that my client had illicitly acquired a few extra dollars from around the house, isn’t his mathematical development important to you? Keeping track of smaller denominations may be good training for a lesser mathematical mind, but surely adding and multiplying larger denominations will facilitate his mathematical growth. Consider any "lost" money an investment in his future earning potential, which could, in fact, pay for your inevitable nursing home care.

My client is a very reasonable 6-year-old and is willing to forgive and forget any previous accusations without pursuing legal action at this time. On the other hand, a payment in the three-figure range would provide a soothing balm to his pain and suffering.

Respectfully,
Shirley Cheatum
Dewey, Cheatum & Howe, Attorneys at Law