Tuesday, September 20, 2022

Sean week continues

 


Yesterday was my son Sean's 20th birthday (he's the one in the middle of the photo above, the little brother). I'm using it as an excuse to dip back into my Father Knows Nothing archives to repost a few of my favorite stories. This is another one that didn't make it into the final version of the book, but beautifully sums up the relationship between Sean and his brothers when he was very young...


Being the little brother to two older brothers is a tough gig. If the little brother has a big taunting mouth, it’s much much worse. Every day becomes a life and death struggle.

Meet my youngest son Sean: He’s cute. He’s smart. And he’s lucky he’s alive. Sean figured out at a very young age that no matter what he said or did, his brothers were never going to like him, or treat him well. So, instead of trying to win their favor, he went the other direction. Without succumbing to emotion or histrionics, he pursued his life goal with dogged determination: To make his brothers as miserable as possible. On purpose.  As punishment for not liking him. 

I transcribed the following conversations before he even went into kindergarten.


Conversation #1

Sean: Johnny, will you play with me?
Johnny: Get away from me Sean. 
Sean: It’s OK, Johnny. You don’t have to play with me. I’m going up to your room to kill your favorite toy.
Johnny: DAAAAAAAD!

Conversation #2

Sean: Johnny, will you play with me?
Johnny: Get away from me Sean.
Sean: Your head is purple and when your head is purple you have to play with me forever. It’s a rule.
Johnny: That’s not a rule, and my head is not purple.
Sean: Yes it is.
Johnny: NO IT’S NOT PURPLE! YOU CAN’T MAKE RULES LIKE THAT!


If you were the adult walking into the room during this confrontation, who would you have sided with, the 4-year old seemingly talking nonsense, or the nine year old who is having a meltdown about the nonsense?  Sean can smell their weaknesses like a dog can smell fear. For instance, he quickly recognized that Tommy had some quirky pet peeves, so he didn’t waste time with anything less effective. He went right for the throat. It usually went a little bit like this: 


Sean: Tommy, will you play with me?
Tommy: Go away Sean.
Sean: You want my pickle?
Tommy: I hate pickles. Get that away from me.
Sean: Why? It’s only a pickle. See. Here it is, Tommy. A pickle. Look, it’s coming right at you. Can you smell it? 
Tommy: AAAAAARGH! GET THAT AWAY FROM ME!!!!

 

Again—picture yourself breaking up this fight. Who is being unreasonable? The 11 year old boy screaming about a harmless pickle or the emotionless little 4-year-old innocently holding a pickle in the air? If you didn’t recognize the evil genius, you would side with the little guy every time.

It’s passive aggressive brilliance.  And it’s just the tip of the iceberg. Every day as Tommy and Johnny were getting ready to walk out the door, Sean rushed up to give them a “big hug.” Did he do this because he loved his brothers? No, of course not. He did it because they hated him.  After they ran screaming out of the house, Sean turned around and smiled.

I must admit, I admired his mental toughness. They started this fight by rejecting his friendly overtures to play, and instead of rolling over and crying, he was fighting back.  One day after Tommy and Johnny went running out of the house screaming, he came over to me and sat on my lap. He had a big smile on his face.

“We’re a team, Dad,” he said.

“What do you mean?” I asked.

“We’re a team, because Tommy & Johnny hate both of us,” he said. 

“They don’t hate us,” I argued half-heartedly. “They really love us.”

“OK, Dad,” he said. Then, almost as afterthought, he added, “I have an idea for dinner tonight.”

“What?”

“Why don’t you do some of your cartoon voices for me?”

“Your brothers hate those voices,” I reminded him.  I could have added that the mere threat of doing my cartoon voices was enough to get them to do their homework, their chores, and anything else I asked, but of course, he knew that. 

                “They do?” he answered innocently, before flashing me that evil grin.