Friday, October 21, 2022

Tommy Kaempfer Week--Part 5


My oldest son Tommy turns 27 years old this week. Since I featured a whole week of Sean when it was his birthday, I thought it was only fair if I did the same for the other two boys. All of these columns I'm posting this week are Father Knows Nothing columns that didn't quite make it into the book. This one is about charity...

 


I can still see the look on Tommy’s face when he heard he was going to have to do community service in order to be confirmed by our church.  He didn’t say the words, but his facial expression screamed: “I can’t do that.”

It’s not that Tommy is anti-community. It’s that he’s painfully quiet, and most community service projects involve having to speak and interact with strangers. Tommy doesn’t even speak and interact with his family.  I pinch him twice a week just to make sure he’s still breathing.

So, when we looked at the possibilities on the long list of community service projects they gave us, one of them jumped out at us: volunteering at the library.

“What do you think about that one?” I asked.

He grunted and shook his head. “Nah.”

Just as I was searching the list for something even more appropriate for him, like “taking a vow of silence,” he pointed to something that I never thought he’d consider.

“What about this one?” he asked.

I thought I must be seeing things. “You’re accidentally pointing to ‘volunteering at the soup kitchen.’”

“I know,” he said.

“Do you know what that is?” I asked.

“Sure. They serve free food to people that can’t afford it. Right?”

“Yeah,” I said. “But you wouldn’t go there to eat the food. You’d go there to serve it.”

“I know,” he replied, rolling his eyes at me. “I’d like to try it.”

So, he did.

We found out that they needed help on Tuesday nights, and right then and there Tommy committed himself to doing it the rest of the school year. I drove him to the Catholic Charities soup kitchen every Tuesday, and every week he came out of there with a big smile on his face. I should note: this is a boy that also never smiles.

“Are you actually enjoying this?” I asked him.

“Yeah,” he said. “They put me in charge of the beverages.”

On the way to and from the soup kitchen the two of us began to have long conversations about being thankful for all of our blessings. He was now able to put a face on the word “poverty,” and began to realize that poor people really aren’t any different than we are.

“It feels good to help,” he said. “People really seem to appreciate it.”

When he broke his leg and couldn’t help for a few weeks, he really missed it. The moment that cast came off, he was back in there, helping out on Tuesday nights. This, despite the fact that there were only a few more weeks until his confirmation and the religious education program told him he had already completed the requirement.

“I want to keep on doing it,” he said.

And he did, for two more years. After his sophomore year of high school he was even given a community service award by the Arch Diocese.

I have to tell you…I never saw that one coming.