Thursday, February 29, 2024

20 Years: The Hidden Meaning Behind Flowers

 

 This year marks my 20th year as a professional writer. Over the course of 2024, I'll be sharing a few of those offerings you may have missed along the way.

This is a piece I wrote for Shore Magazine in 2007.

 





Over the years, flowers have been my friend. Whenever I wanted to cheer up my wife, or apologize to my wife, or get brownie points from my wife, I simply stopped at the florist on my way home from work and got one peach rose. That’s her flower.

 

It worked every time. Total cost: $3.

 

However, when I tried to buy flowers to congratulate a female co-worker a few years ago, I ran into the down-side of flowers: Hidden meanings.

 

I asked for red roses. The florist said: “Oh your wife will love these.”

 

“It’s not for my wife,” I explained.

 

“Your girlfriend?” she asked.

 

“No, just a co-worker.”

 

“Do you want her to be your girlfriend?”

 

“No.” 

 

What’s the deal here? I get less personal questions from my mother.


“Red roses mean love,” she explained.


“What color says ‘Hey congratulations, way to go!’”

 

“You might want to get a mixture of red and white,” she said. “That says ‘unity’, but it can also mean professional unity.”

 

“What about the other colors?”

 

“White means ‘You’re heavenly,’ yellow means ‘joy,’ burgundy means ‘beauty,’ pink whispers a message of…”

 

“I’ll take a plant, please,” I said. “Plain. Green.”





Here's another piece from Shore Magazine that same year. It's called "Premature Jubilation"