Thursday, June 20, 2024

20 Years: Father Knows Nothing (Cutting Room Floor)

 

This year marks my 20th year as a professional writer. Over the course of 2024, I'll be sharing a few of those offerings you may have missed along the way.

For nearly a decade I wrote a weekly column for Lee Publications (NWI Parent, Shore Magazine, NW Indiana Times) about my family called "Father Knows Nothing". Many of my favorite columns were put into book form in 2015 in the Father Knows Nothing book.

Obviously I couldn't include all 400+ columns in the book. Here are a few of my favorites from this week in history that didn't make it into the final book.



June 17th was my wife Bridget's birthday. I wrote this piece about her on my 17th anniversary (we've been married now for 33 years).


This is my lovely wife, Bridget. Today is our 17th anniversary. Even though we dated for three years before we got married, there are quite a few things about her that I couldn’t have known when we said "I do" to each other. In honor of those 17 years of on-the-job training, I thought would tell you 17 things I’ve learned about my bride since our wedding day.

#1: There has never been a more talented baby-entertainer. She could make a fortune touring the country entertaining the 2-and-under crowd.

#2: She is incapable of saying this phrase: "That’s good enough."

#3: She has an 80% chance of coming out of a clothing store without a purchase, and when she does buy something, there’s an 80% chance she will return it.

#4: She can be very funny off-the-cuff, but is completely unable to tell a story or joke without messing up the punchline.

#5: She secretly wants to be a carpenter.

#6: She has two personalities: Regular Bridget and Party Bridget. Both of them can be a lot of fun, but you won’t be able to keep up with one of them. Trust me on this.

#7: When she says the checkbook is balanced, she’s not being approximate. If you haven’t deposited a check she’s given you, she will hunt you down.

#8: Even though she was a cheerleader in high school, she will never ever do one of her old routines again, and no amount of begging will change her mind.

#9: She is a genetically gifted dishwasher-loader. She could fit a mini-van into that thing by twisting and turning it the right way.

#10: Don’t wake her up. Just don’t do it.

#11: If you like to listen to one radio station, don’t let her sit in the front seat of the car with you. If you like to watch more than 30 seconds of a television show, don’t let her touch the remote control.

#12: When she gives you her opinion you can rest assured she’s telling you what she really thinks. Don’t ask if you don’t want to know.

#13: She has an unusually high tolerance for physical pain, but a commercial can make her cry.

#14: If she has been somewhere once, she can find it again without directions.

#15: When she tells kids what to do, they do it. Period. And not just her own kids. All kids.

#16: She is very imaginative with her verb usage when driving behind someone who doesn’t drive well. I’m pretty sure some of her suggestions for fellow drivers aren’t physically possible.

#17: She has somehow managed to reverse the aging process. She looks as beautiful today as she did the day I married her.

That was 17  wonderful years ago.

If I could go back in time to my wedding day and talk to that 28-year-old groom nervously sweating through his tuxedo, I know exactly what I would tell him: "Nothing to be nervous about, Rick. This is the best decision of your life."

If Bridget could go back in time to our wedding day and talk to that 24-year-old bride, I know exactly what she would tell her: "Make him get rid of the mullet. It’s going to ruin the wedding album forever."

***

June 16, 1976 was the date of the uprising in Soweto, South Africa. I got to visit the site of that uprising in 2010, and it had a profound influence on my life. This is the column I wrote about it after I returned.

I’ve always considered myself to be a food adventurer. My motto is this: I will try anything once.


Of course, that’s a much easier motto to live by when I’m in the United States. It really gets tested when I travel overseas. That’s where my palette has been challenged with a whole host of “maybe I better not ask what’s in this” food adventures.


In the process I’ve discovered some incredible dishes, and I’ve identified a few that will forever go on my “Do not order” list, but there was one meal that affected me more than any other. It was a meal I ate when I was in South Africa for the World Cup.


My siblings and I went there together, and though we went primarily to see soccer games, we had our day-time hours free to explore. One day we decided to check out Soweto, the heartbreakingly poor neighborhood in Johannesburg. We drove by an endless array of three-to-five foot huts crammed side by side (each of which housed entire families). We walked through the square where the anti-Apartheid demonstrations took place a generation ago. And then, when we told him we were hungry, our guide took us to a local one-room dining establishment.

 

The “restaurant” was serving lunch buffet style. None of the food was labeled, and most of it was unidentifiable. There was one dish that came in a shade of yellowish-green that I hadn’t really seen in food before. My brother and I exchanged perplexed expressions, but we were careful not to offend our hosts.

 

As I always do, I tried a little bit of everything. The yellowish-green dish tasted a bit strong (lots of spices masking whatever the main ingredient was), but I choked it down. I figured the beef dish would help me get the taste out of my mouth, so I saved that for last. When I started chewing it, I realized it wasn’t like any beef dish I had eaten before. The texture was almost indescribable.  It was a bit rubbery, but that’s not quite it. It was softer than that. It was more like a soggy brown chunk of un-chewable matter.

 

After one bite I knew I was in trouble. It was all I could do to hold it down, but I forced a smile on my face after I swallowed it, because our hosts were proudly watching us.

 

“Mmm, beef?” I asked.

 

The woman nodded.

 

“I wish I could eat more, but I’m absolutely stuffed.”

 

We effusively praised our hosts as we left the restaurant, got back into our van, and headed back toward the hotel.  As we were rumbling out of the neighborhood, I saw a sight that will never leave my mind.  A man was standing under a tent. He was holding a gigantic butcher knife in one hand, and swatting away flies with his other hand.  On the table in front of him was a cow’s head.

 

Just the head.

 

“What’s he doing?” my sister asked.


“He’s butchering the meat,” our guide told us. “This is the only kind of meat we can afford here, and we are so lucky when we get it. The local butchers don’t think it’s edible so they sell it to us for almost nothing, but as you know, it is quite delicious if it’s prepared correctly.”

 

None of us said a word.

 

We knew we had just eaten cow’s brain, or eyes, or snout, but that wasn’t at all what we were thinking about. Until that moment, we hadn’t really grasped the reality of daily life in a place like this. We had heard about extreme poverty, and we had seen it, but until our lunch in Soweto, we had never tasted it.

 

That’s a meal you can’t possibly forget.


***

On June 21, 2011, a tornado ripped through my hometown of Mt. Prospect. This is the column I wrote after that memorable event.

The Cubs-Sox game was getting exciting when the groundskeeper ran out to the umpire and said that the game had to be stopped immediately.

I thought to myself, “Yeah sure, now that the Cubs are coming back, there’s some sort of a weather emergency. Right.”

While the crew put the tarp on the field, my wife called me from the backyard. “Will you come here and help me for a second?”

When I went out to the backyard, she was in the process of putting all of our deck furniture in the garage. She told me that the neighbor said it was supposed to get pretty windy. So, even though I thought she (and the Sox’s groundskeeper) were overreacting, I helped get anything that could be blown away into the garage. The only thing we left on the deck was a little kiddie picnic table that the boys never used anymore.

“Boys, let’s go in the basement,” Bridget said. “There’s a big storm coming.”

I went along with it, but I have to admit, I thought she was going a little overboard.

No more than a minute or two later we heard a loud boom that sounded like thunder, it suddenly got very dark, and poof, the power went out. That was followed by the simultaneous violent opening of our front and back door at the same time (both were closed tight) and the unmistakable sound of a vicious storm raging outside.

Suddenly it didn’t seem like such a bad idea to be in the basement.

A minute or two later it was over.

I went upstairs to close the back door when I saw the wreckage. Our neighbor’s old tree had been decimated, huge limbs were scattered all over her backyard and our driveway. The little table I left on the deck had been blown into the fence and smashed to pieces.

When I went to close the front door, I saw wreckage that was even more pronounced. Entire trees had been uprooted, and were strewn across the street, making it impassible. Still other trees landed on top of garages and houses, causing major damage. Patio umbrellas were jammed into the ground like spears. The whole neighborhood was outside. We couldn’t believe our eyes. Our street looked like it had been bombed.

It wasn’t until the next day that we discovered an actual tornado had touched down, and we had been right in the path of it.

When I walked my dog through the neighborhood over the next few days and saw the extent of the damage, I couldn’t help but think that someone must have been watching out for us. A tornado went right down our street and somehow nobody was hurt. Not one person.

Our power finally returned on Friday night. Our phone, cable, and internet came back on Saturday night. The village tells us the tree limbs will be picked up by Monday.

And all we really lost were a few tree limbs and a few hundred dollars worth of groceries.

I’ve never felt so lucky in my life.