Thursday, June 27, 2024

20 Years: Free Excerpt from Records Truly Is My Middle Name

 

This year marks my 20th year as a professional writer. Over the course of 2024, I'll be sharing a few of those offerings you may have missed along the way.

In 2013 I co-wrote the book "Records Truly Is My Middle Name" with John Landecker. The book is his life story and told in his voice, but the reason I wrote it with him is because I was his executive producer for ten years, and I knew all of his stories. I also enlisted about 30 former friends and colleagues to tell their stories about John.

This week Mel Brooks is celebrating a birthday (June 28). There are a few Mel Brooks stories in Records Truly Is My Middle Name. Here they are...




Bob Sirott has always been a great interviewer, and when we both worked at WLS, there were several times he got interview opportunities with big stars. On those occasions, I inevitably became a parasite on Bob Sirott’s body — hovering around to get an interview for my show too. One night Bob was taping an interview with Sylvester Stallone, with the idea of editing it, and playing it on the air the next day.

 

Again, this was at the height of Sly’s popularity — the film “Rocky” had made him one of the biggest stars in the country — so I asked Bob if I could get Sly live on the air with me after Sirott finished his interview. Bob graciously agreed.

 

My Stallone interview went pretty well, but I didn’t really think it was extraordinary or special. The whole thing only lasted about seven minutes. So imagine my surprise a few weeks later, when a record label released it on an album. The A side had my entire interview with Sylvester Stallone. On the B-side, my interview questions were cut out, so anyone could pretend like they were interviewing Stallone. It came with a script. I have no idea why this done. The interview wasn’t that great — I’m sure Bob’s interview was ten times better. No one ever asked me if they could use it, they just did.

 

The next time I latched onto Bob’s show was the day he had Mel Brooks in the studio. You have to understand; to me Mel Brooks is the be all and end all. He is my comedy hero. I watched Bob’s entire interview, just drooling at a chance to talk to him on my show too.

 

When the interview ended, I made my move.

 

“Please, just stay another ten minutes,” I begged.

 

“Sure,” Mel responded. “What the heck.”

 

And he did, and I loved every second of it. A few weeks later I even got a thank you letter in the mail from Mel Brooks. I still have that letter framed in my office, so I can tell you what it says, word for word.

 

Dated April 18, 1978 on 20th Century Fox letterhead, it says:

“Dear John, it was very fun to use up the first ten minutes of your show

when we were in Chicago. You are a bearded pussycat. Please tender

my best regards to nervous Jews and others at your site of broadcasting.

All the best, Mel Brooks.”

 

***

 

I’ll always treasure my interview with Mel Brooks in the 1970s, but during the WJMK years, I got the chance to interview him twice more. One time I had a chance to do a very lengthy interview with both Mel Brooks and Carl Reiner when they did The 2000 Year Old Man in the Year 2000. I must have talked to them for 40 minutes. The highlight for me was when I asked him a question about Blazing Saddles.

 

“You know the line about the Dr. Gillespie killings?” I asked.

 

“Yeah,” Mel answered.


“That’s a reference to Lionel Barrymore as Dr. Gillespie in the Dr. Kildare movies, right?”

 

He paused, and said: “You know what? Every once in a while I run into a kindred spirit. You’re the only one that has ever asked me that question, and the answer is yes!”

 

To me, that was like John Lennon telling a Beatlemaniac that he was the only person in the world who ever understood a Beatles record. I was in heaven. Of course, just to show you never to take yourself too seriously, when I told that story on the air, I got calls from people who pointed out other jokes in that movie that I completely missed.

 

“John, what about the Laurel and Hardy handshake?”

 

“Yeah? What about it?”

 

“Laurel and Hardy!”

 

“Oooooh. Laurel and Hardy. Right.”

 

My final time with Mel was when The Producers played in Chicago before it made its run on Broadway. Mel held a press conference, and I was one of the press members that attended. When it was my turn, I asked: “When was the first time you thought that Nazis were funny?”

 

“It was when I saw the shape of their helmets,” he responded.

 

The next day in the Sun-Times, that was the headline. Then, a few weeks later when Matthew Broderick did his interview for 60 Minutes just before it hit Broadway, he brought it up too. “You know,” he said, “the first time Mel realized Nazis were funny was when he saw the shapes of their helmets.”

 

Happy to contribute.