Thursday, July 04, 2024

20 Years: South Africa & Soccer

 

This year marks my 20th year as a professional writer. Over the course of 2024, I'll be sharing a few of those offerings you may have missed along the way.

This week I'm in Berlin watching the European Cup Championships. It's not the first time I've travelled a long distance to witness soccer. In 2010, we went to South Africa for the World Cup. There are many stories from that trip, including this one below, which was initially published as a Father Knows Nothing column in Shore Magazine.



My brother Peter, my sister Cindy, and I (along with our cousin Martina) just spent two weeks together in Africa–just the four of us–and we spent nearly every moment with each other during that time.

We didn’t just go the World Cup games and the Safari together (click on the links for those stories and pictures). We shared hotel rooms.

Peter and I hadn’t shared a room since 1977. But there was one big difference back in 1977 (other than the fact that I was 14 and he 7 back then). In 1977 we had bunk beds. In Africa, our “double room,” which we believed meant two beds, actually meant one (very small) “double bed.” Two grown men in their 40s with expanding waistlines sharing a bed that my kids wouldn’t share because it wasn’t big enough.

Needless to say, it was a little cramped. And have I mentioned that both of us snore? Good times. I think neither of us had a good night sleep the entire time there.

My sister Cindy and my cousin Martina were going through the same thing in their room, but somehow the double bed situation didn’t bother them as much. They did, however, share our discomfort with something even more awkward.

Let me tell you about an interesting little feature of our African hotel room bathroom: See-through doors.

That’s right, see-through doors. As in, you can see right in just by looking at the door.

And the toilet is the first thing you see.

And the bathroom door is the first thing you see when you open the hotel room door.

Let me run a quick scenario by you, just in case your brain hasn’t already gone there…

Knock, knock. “Housekeeping.”

“No, don’t come in, I’m…”

“Oh, hello sir. I see you sitting there. I’ll come back. How much time do you need?”

I’m still stumped trying to figure out what they were thinking when they designed those doors. I know they probably envisioned a couple sharing this room (instead of two aging brothers), but even if you’re young lovers on your honeymoon, do you really want to see your significant other sitting on the john?

We did manage to have some fun with this weirdness. Peter and I instituted what we called “The Privacy Zone.” When one of us had to go in the bathroom for whatever reason (and by the way, have I mentioned that it was also a see-through shower door?), we erected an invisible “Privacy Shield” that could not be penetrated by mortal man. The non-bathroom attendee had to stay around the corner, with no visual contact of the see-through door.

Peter even took this one step further. He discovered that the Hyatt next door to our hotel had plush public bathrooms with non-see-through doors, and he started going there. It became a running joke. The phrase “I have to go to the Hyatt” will always make me laugh.

But if you think about it, we were actually lucky.

Who could have handled this odd privacy situation better than siblings? We grew up in the same house, raised by the same parents. We knew each other’s quirks intimately, and had already been forced to accept them. In our case, we had even traveled around the world with each other many times before (my father worked for the Department of Defense), and experienced the inevitable cultural oddities together. After you’ve tackled a Romanian bathroom, which we did in the 70s when Romania didn’t have running water, this see-through African one was like the Taj Mahal.

And here’s probably the best thing about the whole trip. We got along just fine. No fights. No arguments. No bickering.

Our parents would have killed for that in 1977.

***

A few more pieces about South Africa/Soccer...

South Africa by Train

What Soccer Means to Me

***


Also, as a bonus, during the Cubs season I've always got some Cubs stories that happened this week in history. Here are a few if you're interested...

June 30, 1880—Birthdate of Kangaroo Davy Jones, wacky Cub

July 1, 1919—Prohibition begins in Chicago. How did the Cubs handle that?  

July 6, 1932—Billy Jurges shot