Thursday, March 19, 2009

Cubs to retire #31

From this morning's newswires...

The Chicago Cubs will retire the No. 31 worn by both Ferguson Jenkins and Greg Maddux. The two star right-handed pitchers will be honored May 3 before a game against Florida at Wrigley Field. It will be the fifth number retired by the Cubs, joining No. 14 (Ernie Banks), No. 26 (Billy Williams), No. 10 (Ron Santo) and No. 23 (Ryne Sandberg).

Jenkins, elected to the Hall of Fame in 1991, and Maddux, who won 355 games before retiring in December, are the first Cubs pitchers to have their numbers retired. Jenkins retired before the 1984 season. When Maddux broke in with the Cubs two years later, he was given No. 31.

"Being 20 years old at the time the last thing I was going to do was complain about my number. I was just happy to be there," Maddux said of the No. 31. "I thought that was pretty cool. They gave me Fergie's number. I knew he was one of the best pitchers to ever play for the Cubs and for baseball period."

Turns out Maddux became one of the greatest, too.

I guess they had to wait until Maddux retired, but the honor is long overdue for Fergie. These are two of the classiest pitchers to ever put on a major league uniform. It's well deserved.

I've previously written about Fergie (here and here), and Maddux (here and here).