Thursday, June 24, 2010

Heading out of the country

I haven’t been away from my kids for more than five days since they were born.

I haven’t been away from my wife for more than five days in 21 years.

I haven’t been away from my dog for more than three hours since she moved in with us about a month ago.

I generally don’t leave the house.

But I’m leaving today to go South Africa to see the World Cup, and I’ll be gone for two weeks.

It could be the adventure of a lifetime or it could be a disaster, but either way, I’m sure there will be some good material to share with you. You know I'll be writing about it.

My sister is bringing a computer, and I may be able to check e-mail, but I'm not sure if I can post my blog or not. I'm also bringing a camera and will be taking lots of pictures. Will I be able to figure out how to post them while I'm in South Africa? That's a big if. My guess is no.

By the way, while I'm gone I also won't be posting any new Father Knows Nothing columns (those will resume July 11), and I won't be posting any Chicago Radio Spotlight interviews (those won't return until the fall), but Just One Bad Century will keep on ticking. I've written a whole month worth of material over the past few weeks, and webmaster Mike will be posting new stuff every day.

If you're a Facebook friend, I'm hoping that's the place I can keep in touch while I'm gone.

See you in a few weeks.

Have a great 4th of July weekend. I promise not to embarrass our country overseas.

Go U.S.A!