Tuesday, September 07, 2010

Charmian Carr

"JD" stumbled across my Charmian Carr article, and sent me the following e-mail...

"Rick--Like you, I'm a long-time, but now retired Broadcaster: two years at WSB Radio in Atlanta, GA, then weather on TV at WSB-TV, The Weather Channel, WAGA-TV and WGCL-TV -- all in the Atlanta market. Especially during my years of doing weather, I met many celebrities around Noon News time, and as the saying goes, yep, the bigger they were, the nicer they were.

I had been at WSB Radio for a year when "The Sound Of Music" came out. As an on-air guy, I got a free pass to a press screening, very sparely attended, surprisingly. That was the first of five times I saw the movie during its first run.

While I have had a lifelong crush on Julie Andrews, I was absolutely gobsmacked by Charmian Carr! She was born 11 days after I was in 1942. The calendar says I'm 67, but I tell ya, I'm still 37 when I get up in the morning!

You said it, Rick: LOOK at those eyes.

I saw her on one of the network morning news shows about ten years ago, and she was still gorgeous.

I envy your doing John's transcribed scene with her. I expect I would have felt much the same as you; though, over the years of meeting stars, I realized that all of us "in the business" were simply performers together, even if some were in stratospherically different leagues! Having that realization made it quite easy for me to meet and talk with whoever showed up in the studio.

I just discovered your blog today, looking for Charmian. You are a fine writer!"