Friday, December 17, 2010

Kid-K returns

A few years ago, after the flame outs of both Mark Prior and Sammy Sosa, I made a deal with myself. I decided that I would never again wear a Cubs jersey unless it was the jersey number of a player from my youth. I kept a couple of Ernie Banks jerseys (my favorite), and I gave the Prior and Sosa jerseys to Goodwill.

But for some reason, I couldn't quite part with the Kerry Wood jersey. I was there for his 20 strikeout game. It was an important day in my life even beyond baseball (I founded my advertising agency on that day), and I felt a sort of kinship for the kid. Plus, even when  he left town, I always suspected he would return to finish his career in Chicago.

I was right.

My Sox fan friend Dave called yesterday to mock this move, but beyond even the sentimental reasons, I think it's a good move for the Cubs. So mock away. I'm fine with it.