Thursday, December 20, 2012

Facts About Guns

I was just curious about this, considering the debate going on in this country right now, so I did some research. Just how many guns are there in this country?

*Between 40-50% of American households have a gun.

*More than 10 million guns are sold in America every year.

*There are 90 handguns (just handguns) for every 100 Americans.

*Around 30% of all the guns in the world are owned by Americans.

*15 of the 25 worst mass shootings in the last 50 years took place in the United States.

*The best estimate for total number of guns in America in 2010 was 290--300 million guns. The population is 314 million.

I don't know the answer to the problem of gun violence, but I think it's pretty obvious that the answer is not "more guns" (which I've actually heard some people say). This has been studied, by the way: Turns out that More guns = More homicides.

Just sayin.