Friday, April 26, 2013

Bob Hale Sets The Record Straight



Bob Hale was a colleague of mine back in the WJMK/WJJD days. (I interviewed him about his incredible career for Chicago Radio Spotlight a few years ago.) I'm also his facebook friend, and I loved this post of his today taking issue with an article in Rolling Stone Magazine. Bob was the emcee of Buddy Holly's last concert and is the foremost authority on that night. Here's what he posted on facebook today...

ROLLING STONE Has it wrong! Its recent story on the SURF Ballroom in Clear Lake, Iowa says that Dion was involved in the coin toss that determined who would ride the bus, and who would fly to Fargo. Dion was NOT present during the one and only coin toss between Tommy and Ritchie Valens! There was only one coin coin toss, period. Dion's version of the facts surfaced decades after the event and after his struggle to live without chemical support. Dion never commented about that night until years later...and cannot report on the coin toss because he was not in the dressing room at the time. Present were Ritchie, Tommy, Buddy, Bopper and me! I was the emcee of the show, and can verify who was involved and who was not. Dion was not!!!! Period. Rolling Stone did not contact those who could have verified the story - namely Tommy and me!

You know, I sometimes forget what a treat it is to personally know all these people in the radio business, particularly those that came before me. They truly did have a front row seat to history!