Thursday, August 15, 2013

Keith Olbermann's Unlikely Return to ESPN



I really enjoyed this article in the Hollywood Reporter about Keith Olbermann.

Sounds like he's beginning to understand that many of his problems have been of his own making...but of course, the real test will come once the show gets on the air. It's easy to say all the right things when you are looking for a job, or just beginning a job. What happens when you start having success again?

To me, the most disappointing thing about Keith has always been what I read about the (alleged) way he has treated people behind the scenes. I've been in similar situations and seen people that haven't treated staff well. I don't care how much talent someone has, that never reflects well on someone's character.

I have no first hand knowledge he is like that. I've only read things from disgruntled co-workers. Maybe they were wrong in every instance, and Keith was always right. It's possible, I suppose. But as someone who worked with talent for more than twenty years, I have an incredibly accurate radar about these things.

I wouldn't take a job working with him.

And that's despite the fact that I'm a big fan of his talent.

Life is too short to be miserable.