Thursday, December 05, 2013

Behind the Scenes at WGN Radio with Landecker, Sirott & Murciano

I accompanied John Landecker to WGN radio yesterday for his interview on the Bob Sirott & Marianne Murciano show. John and Bob are long-time friends. They worked together in the 70s and hung out all the time, so there were some good stories being recounted off the air too. (I’m sworn to secrecy)

I thought it was a thoroughly entertaining thirty minutes of radio, featuring a few clips from John’s new CD (available at Eckhartz Press), some good natured Bob-John riffing, and a funny Marianne rave out about John’s current employer not allowing him to speak enough on the air.

WGN has posted the interview on their website. You can listen to it here.

Thanks so much to Bob & Marianne for allowing John to come on their show to talk about the CD, and thanks for letting me sit in the studio during the interview to witness it. (You can probably hear me cackling in the background)

During the commercials, I had a nice chat with their producer Kristin, who told me she had read “The Radio Producer’s Handbook” and learned a lot from it. That was nice to hear.

Many old pals also stopped by during the commercial breaks to say hello, including Wendy Snyder, Steve Bertrand, Todd Manley, and Leslie Keiling. It was fun to see everyone again.

An even bigger thrill happened after the interview (at least for me). When we got into the green room to retrieve our coats, we ran into Kerry Wood. He was on the show after us. I got my picture taken with him (not included here because it’s an extreme closeup…and nobody needs to see that), and talked to him about his 20-strikeout game, which I attended. I listened to the show on my way home, and Sirott also talked to him about that day because he was there too. I actually remember seeing him there. Hard to believe that was 15 years ago.

In the green room...


Prepping for the interview...


On the air...


Landecker, Murciano and Sirott...