Monday, February 24, 2014

Father Knows Nothing: The End of an Era

Yesterday was our last day of Cub Scouts. For the first time in twelve years we don't have a Cub Scout in our family. Our youngest son Sean has graduated to Boy Scouts.

When I first mentioned Cub Scouts as a possibility to my wife Bridget twelve years ago, she was vehemently opposed to the concept. She had two little boys (aged 6 and 4) and was expecting a third. The idea of adding another activity to her ridiculously crowded plate was simply out of the question.

"If you sign up Tommy," she said, "you're the one that has to go with him. I'm not going to do it."

I agreed. I had fond memories of my own time in Cub Scouts and figured Tommy would love it too. The first few years I handled the bulk of the Cub Scout duties (other than the Pinewood Derby--Bridget seemed to enjoy the woodworking). I went to the den and pack meetings, and I went on the outings. I saw it as good father-son bonding time, because I was still working in radio, and had so little time to spend with my boys.

By the time Johnny joined, however, we had three little boys, and now I was the one at home with them, and Bridget was the one who wanted a little extra bonding time. At first she only agreed to attend the meetings, but it wasn't long before she had volunteered to write the newsletter for the pack. She didn't realize how involved that was. She had to co-ordinate all the information, which meant she had to know every detail.

Once that happened, Bridget slowly started adding to her duties, and our home slowly became Cub Scout central. First our shed became the storage area for the pack. Every scout parent came to our house to pick up or drop off everything from the camping gear to the Klondike sleds to the Pinewood Derby track. Within a few years, our dining room also became the headquarters for all the pack paperwork. At one time or another Bridget handled every job, from running the popcorn sales, to organizing the events.

Before she knew it, Bridget had become the committee chairperson, and was running the whole show. She knew it would be a big job, but I don't think she realized just how big. It was like a second full-time job. But it was one she did well. This year our pack was recognized as the best in the district (out of more than fifty packs).

But it all came to an end yesterday.

After fifteen Pinewood Derby cars, 60+ newsletters, and two full years running every conceivable part of the pack, Bridget said her farewell yesterday at the Blue & Gold dinner. I don't think it really hit her until we got home and watched the video of Sean "crossing over" to the Boy Scouts. Her lip quivered a bit as she watched it, and her eyes filled with moisture.

"Do you think you'll miss it?" I asked Sean, as he watched the video with her.

"Nah," he said. "Boy Scouts will be more fun."

I didn't ask Bridget. I didn't need to. I knew she would say that she was planning on enjoying her free time. But I also knew she didn't regret dedicating her time to the Cub Scouts all these years. I saw the pride in her eyes when she told me the pack had been honored. I saw the joy in her eyes as Sean or Johnny or Tommy achieved a new rank.

And I saw the lip quiver, and the eyes moistening last night the moment it sank in that she was never going to experience it again.