Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Media Spotlight--February 25


Every weekday in 2014, I'll be keeping an eye on what's happening in the media. My focus will be on some of my favorite subjects...the moguls, the pundits, the broadcast news biz, show business, and the publishing business. (Read "$everance" if you want a crystallization of my positions on those subjects.) And, of course, I'll also keep tabs on Chicago's media.


Chicago Media

~More Hires at "The Game"
The new sports talk station in town at 87.7FM has been hiring lots of new people, including a few women: ChicagoNow's Julie DiCaro, ChicagoSide's Megan Kluth, and ESPN radio's Brooke Weisbrod. I've never heard any of them on the air, but I am a fan of DiCaro's writing about the Cubs. She knows her stuff. Larz from Chicagoland Radio & Media has more details about the others at the link.


Broadcast News

~Olympic Ratings Down From Vancouver Four Years Ago
The headline in Variety (above) is true, but misleading. Those Vancouver Olympics weren't tape delayed hours after we already knew who won, and the world wasn't nearly as consumed with up-to-the minute information four years ago. Twitter was not nearly the force it is today.

~Tamron Hall to Co-Host 9 AM Hour of Today Show
She's been at MSNBC for the past few years, but before that she hosted a morning television show here in Chicago at Fox. She's actually grown on me since her Chicago days. I've seen her conduct a few heavy hitter interviews that I don't think she would have been able to pull off when she was in Chicago.


The Pundits

~Josh Barro Going to the New York Times
He is a writer about economics, and has previously worked at Bloomberg and Business Insider. He's also a frequent guest on MSNBC.

~Slate's Dave Weigel Dances on Piers Morgan's Television Grave
I can't say that I disagree with him, but it feels a bit unseemly. The body is still warm.


Showbiz

~Reuters Reviews Seth Meyers First Night
Sounds like I missed a good one. The Vice President and Amy Poehler were the guests. Most surprising thing in the article, as far as I'm concerned: Seth is the oldest host in the history of the program. He's 40. I think they mean the oldest host to start as host, because I'm pretty sure Conan was over 40 when he left. He's my age. (50)

~If the Beatles Debuted Today
Jimmy Fallon has fun with a social-media-ized Beatles




The Radio Biz

~Scott Shannon didn't retire after all
Not a big shocker. Here's the info via Inside Radio: The mystery of where longtime New York morning man Scott Shannon is heading appears to be solved. CBS Radio briefly posted a press release on its website for classic hits WCBS-FM (101.1) late Monday revealing Shannon will join the station starting March 3.

~The Bieber Item From Yesterday Was a Prank
Not by me. It was two radio dudes in Atlanta. The Atlanta Journal Consitution fell for it, so I did too. Whoops.