Friday, March 13, 2015

The 47 Senators

I haven't weighed in on the letter the 47 Senators sent to the Ayatollah of Iran, mainly because it was such a clearly terrible idea, I didn't think I needed to add anything. (I will say this to my Democratic friends--using the term traitor is also a terrible idea. The sentence for treason is execution. You aren't seriously suggesting that, are you? That's a term I vowed I would never use after I was called one myself for defending the Dixie Chicks. Yes, I really was. That's how casually the term was tossed around a decade ago.)

But I'm commenting today, because I want to share this op-ed in the Washington Post. It's written by former George W. Bush speechwriter Michael Gershon. He presents the conservative case for being upset about the letter. It's thoughtful, well-reasoned, and not pro-Obama at all.

It's not a partisan response to be disturbed by 47 senators sending a letter like this.

It's just common sense.