Friday, November 06, 2015

RIP George Barris

George Barris passed away this week. You may not know his name, but the custom car designer created the coolest car in history (in my opinion). He created the batmobile.

Barris received a call about the most momentous gig of his career. The producers of the “Batman” television show needed a heroic ride for the superhero’s battles with the Joker.

“I saw the script and it said, ‘Bang,’ ‘Pow,’ ‘Boom,'” Barris told the Los Angeles Times in 2012. “That’s exactly what I wanted the car to be able to do. I wanted it to be as big a character as the actors’ themselves.”

Over 15 days and with $15,000, Barris transformed a 1955 Ford Lincoln Futura into the go-to method of transportation for crime-fighting in Gotham City. Black with fluorescent red pinstripes, the sleek Batmobile was outfitted with “bulletproof” plexiglass bubble windshields and 450-watt “Bat Ray” laser beams.

In 2013, it was sold at an auction for $4.6-million.

I had a batmobile car (I think it was Matchbox) that was one of my prized possessions as a kid.