Friday, February 19, 2016

Rich King at the White House with the Blackhawks

This is how Eckhartz Press author and WGN-TV sports reporter Rich King teased his third visit to the White House before it happened (on his facebook page)...

“In the late twilight of a career you have a greater appreciation for the “perks” of the job. I have been assigned to cover the Blackhawks visit to the White House. This marks the third time I will see what the late Jim Finks described as “the power base of the free world.” To a lover of history, being there is surreal. This is a place where there exist the ghosts of the great men you studied in the history books, Lincoln, FDR, Kennedy and all rest. When last there we somehow got free of the media guides. We got lost on the way out and wound up going deeper into the halls instead of hitting the exits. Some of us were gleefully strolling along the historic corridors until stopped by the Secret Service. When chatting outside with a security guard he pointed to a window and told us the White House pool was down below. “That’s where Kennedy and Marilyn Monroe would meet,” he said. When I left the press box in Minnesota in December, I took a pause before leaving the last Bears road game I would cover. I looked around one more time to think of all the great places this job has taken me, from coast to coast, into Canada and even across the Atlantic to London and Paris. What a wonderful ride ! I shall pause even longer before I leave the White House.”

This is how he reported it on WGN...