Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Inside Cubsessions

Randy Richardson and Becky Sarwate are the authors of the upcoming Eckhartz Press book "Cubsessions", but they also write for the website Wrigleyville Nation. In this piece, they combined the two. They were interviewed for Wrigleyville Nation about "Cubsessions".

Here's an excerpt...(Full article is here)


WN: What was the most memorable experience you encountered while working on the book?

Randy: Well, there were many. Sitting in a coffee shop, talking about the Cubs with one of my literary heroes, Scott Turow, was certainly high on the list. Chatting on the phone with one of my all-time favorite actors, Dennis Franz, was pretty surreal. But I think the one that rises to the top as the most memorable experience has to be the interview with Dave Cihla (aka the Shawon-O-Meter/Schwarb-O-Meter guy). You can read that whole story in a piece I wrote for Wrigleyville Nation, “A Memorable Night with the Schwarb-O-Meter.” What made that so memorable is that it all happened so spontaneously. I was on my way to meet him at a local watering hole, when he texted me: “Wanna do the Meter tonight? My treat.” Because it was a raw, soggy night, he’d found bleachers for $8. Not only did I get a picture with him holding the Schwarb-O-Meter sign, but Kyle Schwarber, who’d been in a deep funk, broke out of his early-season slump with the game-winning homer, which landed not far from where we were seated. It was just perfect.

Becky: The people I have interviewed for this project are some of my literary, comedy, film and journalism heroes. I was given the opportunity to discuss Cubs past and present, as well as Chicago history, with luminaries like Sara Paretsky, Bob Newhart, Nick Offerman, Joe Mantegna and Bill Kurtis. Even if there was no book, how special is that? There have been so many “pinch me” moments throughout this process.

But I think one that stands out in particular is the late afternoon I spent sipping scotch at R.J. Grunts with Adrian Zmed and his older brother Cornel. There I am typing along while Adrian generously shares memories of Chicago and the Cubs in a renowned Windy City watering hole. It felt classic Chicago. I felt like Mike Royko or Irving Kupcinet. I’ll never forget it.

WN: Of the celebrity Cub fans that you interviewed which one do you feel best captured what it truly means to be a Cubs fan? How so?

Randy: They all captured different aspects of just what it means to be a Cubs fan. But, for me, the one that best captured it has to be WXRT radio personality Lin Brehmer. The image of him sitting by himself in his comfy chair, in the early hours after the Cubs won the World Series, and just a few hours before he’d be on the air, with a big smile on his face spooning a celebratory root beer float, I can picture it so clearly. That, to me, captured the childlike joy that I think so many of us experienced when the Cubs finally won it all.

Becky: It’s hard because I had the opportunity to tell so many great stories in the book. But I think Joe Mantegna’s perspective did much to tie the larger narratives together. For example, he’s great friends with Adrian Zmed and Tom Dreesen, who also have stories in the book. It’s the idea of Cubs community on the micro level. But in addition, he is the genius behind Bleacher Bums, the seminal 1970s stage production that has toured the world, been produced for television, and represents the spirit of bleeding Cubbie blue. Fans from all walks of life coming together for a singular passion. Many of the other interviewees in the book had come across Bleacher Bums at some stage of their creative careers as well. Joe Mantegna’s story weaves many elements together – and he did it totally by accident. Just by thoughtfully sharing these memories and ideas that have a universal touch.

WN: Whose story most surprised you? How so?

Randy: That would have to be musician Michael McDermott’s. His story of how the arc of the Cubs’ failures and successes in many ways mirrored his own musical career was so deep and personal…I found it both heartbreaking and inspiring. One could see how he took on this persona of the Lovable Loser and had to find his way out of a really dark place.

Becky: I think Sara Paretsky threw me for a bit of a loop. The accomplished author of the V.I. Warshawski novel series, which was eventually turned into a movie starring Kathleen Turner. She has achieved so much.

Yet she told me with all sincerity that when she ran the bases at Wrigley Field – during a film shooting break in the late 1980s – to the roar of a crowd of extras, it was one of the biggest, most exciting moments of her life. She meant it too. She recalled the smell of the grass and suddenly I was right there with her. It was such a humble and awed admission. It drew me right in.

WN: What was your one greatest takeaway from working on this book?

Randy: The Cubs are more than just a baseball team to their fans. In many ways, they are like family. Because you’ve been through so many highs and lows with them, you feel this deep and personal connection to them. As Dennis Franz noted, even when you’re not following them closely, they’re always a part of you. That really resonated with me.

Becky: I may never have a star on the Walk of Fame like Bob Newhart. It’s unlikely I’ll ever reach the career journalism heights of Bill Kurtis and I think we can rule out my role on a long-running CBS television drama like Joe Mantegna. But we all have one beautiful thing in common. We are all drawn to Wrigley Field to follow the emotional arc of our favorite baseball team. And that shared passion will always unite us all. The idea is so democratic and human. We all follow something bigger and outside of us, no matter our respective livelihoods, families or culture.