Thursday, November 01, 2018

RIP Willie McCovey

Going to Wrigley Field when I was a kid was like going to heaven. Not only did I get to see all of my favorite Cubs (Banks, Williams, Jenkins, etc) in full color (we had a black and white tv), but I also got to see some of the all-time greats who played for the other team.

One of the biggest thrills of my life was the first time I saw the Cubs play the Giants. The Giants only came into town once a year, but in 1970, I was in the crowd. I remember it was a Sunday in June. The Giants weren't that great in 1970, but the middle of their order featured Willie Mays (batting third) and Willie McCovey hitting cleanup. Mays hit a homer off Ken Holtzman in an early inning (the third?), and as he rounded the bases I remember thinking to myself--this isn't fair! McCovey is up next. He hit a screaming double.

The game had a little bit of everything. Billy Williams hit a homer and so did Jim Hickman (he was playing for Ernie Banks). My favorite sub, Paul Popovich, was in the game. The Cubs won 8-4.

It was the only time I ever saw Willie Mays or Willie McCovey play in person. I'll never ever forget it.

Willie passed away yesterday at the age of 80.

This is a great piece about him in the Washington Post today. It's about Willie and one of his biggest fans...Charlie Brown.

(Photo: Topps 1969 Willie McCovey card from my personal collection)