Monday, October 19, 2020

Minutia Men--200th Episode

 It's hard to believe we've been doing this show for four years, but it's true. Minutia Men has just released our 200th episode.

I approached Tony Lossano with this idea after appearing on his podcast Lossano & Friends when I was promoting my book "Father Knows Nothing". I thought it was a longshot, but I pitched it to him anyway.

"My co-publisher Dave and I used to do a show together many years ago (in the mid-80s)," I said, "and we still basically do a show together on the phone every single day. Is there any way we can convert that into a podcast?"

"What would it be about?" he asked.

"Nothing important. Just two best friends telling each other about things they've discovered in the news, or things that have happened to them this week, or reminiscing about old stories. We know virtually everything about each other, and at the very least, we'd have great chemistry."

Tony knew my background and that I could do it, but he hadn't met Dave. I introduced them over lunch, and after watching us banter in person and with the waitress, Tony realized there was something there. He noticed we spent an inordinate amount of time bickering about minutia, and thought that should be the focus of the show.

Now *that* was something we could do.

I was really worried whether or not I could handle the technical end of it (it had been more than a decade since I left radio), so I insisted that we do a few test shows to see if it worked. Tony lent us the equipment, and we did about four or five test shows, before officially launching in 2016.

The vision of the show remains essentially the same. Dave and I each bring "minutia" news stories that we've discovered that week. These are the kind of stories we are naturally drawn to, and used to share with each other on the phone, because it would lead to banter and shtick. We've been doing this so long (35 years), we have a giant archive of similar things that we've written, published, recorded, and/or created over the years, and we share a few of those as well. Dave likes my celebrity stories (from my long radio career), so he makes me tell one of those a week. 

And then we interview someone in the creative world that interests us, like actors, writers, comedians, musicians, voice over arists, directors, television stars, news anchors, radio personalities, authors, rock stars, or even bonafide movie stars. Those interviews always get into the weeds, because that's what we do. Minutia. The interview subjects are either an obscure celebrity that we want to highlight, or a big celebrity that we want to mine for more obscure moments of their career. 

Earlier this year, the interview part of our show was spun off into it's own show. It's called the Minutia Men Celebrity Interview.

Anyway, this is a long-winded way of saying our 200th episode is out now. Take a listen if you're interested. You can find us on all the podcast outlets, including amazon audible, spotify, stitcher, or our flagship network, the Radio Misfits Podcast Network. Thanks so much to Tony Lossano (from Oppih Shows) for taking a chance on us and producing the show. Thanks to Ed Silha of the Radio Misfits for distributing it.

And thanks to the more than 300 people who have given us 5-star reviews on the various podcast platforms. We appreciate your support.