Tuesday, February 15, 2022

Interview Tips

I realize that not many people who read this blog actually interview people, but for those of you who do, this advice today at the Chicago Writers Association blog, is excellent. It's written by Dan Klefstad. Read the entire blog post here.

“What did you have for breakfast today?”

This is the first question I asked people who came to be interviewed at WNIJ, the NPR station where I had an author interview program. This always-unexpected query immediately prompted a Proustian reverie starring a bagel, cup of coffee, or bacon and eggs. No madeleines appeared, but even the most nervous guest looked and sounded relaxed after declaiming the morning menu. The result was a recording that was more conversation than Q & A, something that engaged listeners and boosted the confidence of my guest. I hope you have a similar experience when you go on the radio, TV or a podcast to promote your book.