Wednesday, February 16, 2022

RIP P.J. O'Rourke

 He passed away yesterday at the age of 74. I idolized him in my youth when he was the editor of National Lampoon. It was such a subversive magazine. It looked totally normal so that parents didn't have a problem with it (unless of course, they had covers like the ones below), and it was filled with unbelievably hilarious articles. Some were filthy (John Hughes' "My Vagina" comes to mind), and some were political (a lot of P.J.'s fit in that category), but all were different than the kinds of things you'd find in other magazines.

And yet, P.J. believed that he was responsible for the magazine's demise. He wrote about it a few years ago for the Hollywood Reporter. You can read it here.

RIP, P.J. O'Rourke. I didn't agree with your politics, but I always admired your wit and wisdom.