Thursday, August 15, 2024

20 Years: Bonus "Father Knows Nothing"

 

This year marks my 20th year as a professional writer. Over the course of 2024, I'll be sharing a few of those offerings you may have missed along the way.

I wrote my Father Knows Nothing column for Lee Publications (NW Indiana Times, Shore Magazine, NWI Parent, etc) nearly a decade. When I came out with the Father Knows Nothing book, I had to leave out a few of my favorites (because I wrote over 400 columns).

Here are a couple that didn't make the book. The first is from 2012, and stars my middle son Johnny. The second one is from 2009 and stars my youngest son Sean. 


My middle son Johnny is caught between two worlds. On the one hand, he’s only 14 and still considers himself a kid. On the other hand, he’s in high school now, so he’s beginning to grow up. One need look no further than the mustache growing on his upper lip, and hear no more than the bass tones of his voice.

 

He’s also the middle child, which is a very difficult position. He’ll never be considered as responsible as his older brother, but he can also no longer get away with some of the stuff his little brother still does. To combat this incredible “unfairness” Johnny has deputized himself a member of the Little Brother Police.

 

He doesn’t just report his little brother to higher authorities (his parents); he takes matter into his own hands. No transgression is too small for Officer Johnny to lay down the law.

 

“Your napkin belongs on your lap.”

“Your bedtime is 9:00.”

“You’re using that computer without asking Dad’s permission.”

“Stop chewing with your mouth open.”

“Shouldn’t you be doing your homework right now?”

 

Each of these transgressions can lead to a warning, or depending on the mood of Officer Johnny—something far worse. In those cases, this is how the five step process works…


1. The arrest is made by Officer Johnny

2. The case is immediately presented to the jury of little brother’s peer (Officer Johnny).

3. The verdict is guilty.

4. Little brother is sentenced by the judge (Officer Johnny).

5. Justice (always some sort of physical force) is administered by Officer Johnny.

 

That justice is swift, too. (Sometimes before I can even make it into the room.)


Officer Johnny has an incredible grasp of the law. He has studied it extensively, keeps voluminous records of where and when previous rules were enforced. If those rules are not enforced exactly equally by the higher ups (the parents), the officer has no choice but to take justice into his own hands.


I mean, let’s be honest, how is it possible to stand idly by while someone watches television in the morning before school, when it was absolutely not an option just five or six years earlier? Who could put up with that sort of unfairness?


Surely not Officer Johnny.

 

In Officer Johnny’s defense, his interrogations are not videotaped. They do, however, come with a soundtrack, and we’ve been told that sometimes that soundtrack wouldn’t exactly synch up with the video, if you know what we mean. In fact, a witness (oldest brother Tommy) has testified that the perp (youngest son Sean) has been known to scream in agony before any punishment was even administered. There have also been a few cases of the perp throwing the first punch, and immediately following that up with a very loud screaming “Don’t hit me, (Officer) Johnny.”


Furthermore, this witness claims that the perp has been known to commit perjury when questioned by the Supreme Court (Dad).

 

These criminals can be pretty savvy, but nobody ever said that enforcing the law would be an easy task. Officer Johnny didn’t ask for this job, but he remains ever vigilant; ready, willing, and able to take the necessary steps to maintain the peace. Whether that involves physical force, physical force, or some sort of physical force, Officer Johnny will be there, nightstick in hand.

 

Unfortunately for Officer Johnny, our sources tell us that there’s a fairly good chance that the perp is not always going to remain this small in stature. In just a few years, he may even be taller, stronger, and faster than Officer Johnny himself.

 

For Officer Johnny’s sake, we certainly hope he has prepared himself for that reality.

(Postscript, 2024. Sean is now the tallest)


***


I would recognize that guilty look anywhere.

“What’s going on in here?” I asked Sean. My seven year old was sitting silently on the chair pretending like nothing was going on.

“Nothing,” he said.

He subtly tried to cover the television remote with a nearby blanket.

“Were you watching TV?” I asked.

“No,” he lied.

“It’s OK,” I said. “You can tell me the truth. Were you watching TV?”

He lowered his eyes and nodded.

“That’s not a big deal,” I said. “You can watch TV if you’re all ready to go.”

He was dressed. He had eaten breakfast. He had brushed his teeth. His backpack was leaning against the front door, ready to go. I didn’t see what the problem was.

“I don’t want to,” he said. Again, that guilty expression on his face was unmistakable.

“What were you watching?” I asked.

“NOTHING!” he screamed.

I reached for the remote.

“NO, DAD! DON’T!” he screamed.

“Were you watching one of the pay movie channels or something?” I asked.

He shook his head.

“Well, then what’s the big deal?” I asked.

I clicked the remote and he squealed in protest. “NO, DAD, NO!”

As soon as I saw the image on the screen I understood. He fell to his knees at my feet, his hands clasped together in praying position.

“Please don’t tell Tommy & Johnny,” he said. “Pleeeeeeeeease. Please don’t tell them.”

“You know,” I said, desperately trying to keep a straight face, “there’s nothing wrong with watching Dora.”

“But Dora’s for girls,” he said from his knees, his hands still clasped together.

“That’s not true,” I said. “Your brothers watched Dora occasionally when they were younger.”

His eyes lit up. “Really?”

“Really.”

Sean got up, and began to run out of the room. I called after him before he could turn the corner.

“And if I hear you making fun of them for that,” I said, “I’ll tell them you were watching it too.”

He stopped in tracks. He turned around and looked at me. Sure enough, that evil grin was right where I thought it would be.

“Darn,” he said.

Watch it, kid. I know you better than you know yourself.


(Postscript 2024: I'm featuring this piece because Dora the Explorer debuted this week in 2000.)