Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Rich Koz' blog



Thanks to Rich Koz for mentioning our interview in his WCIU blog today. After reading this, it makes me think I need to take him out for a drink sometime to hear some of these stories. I'm sure we'd be playing "I can top that" when we start swapping "radio backstabber" stories. Ah, radio. Great biz.




"I try not to live in the past much, but, I had to revisit some of my old radio days as a favor to Rick Kaempfer, a twenty year radio veteran, producer/author/ radio historian, who asked me to answer some questions about my career for his “Chicago Radio Spotlight” website. You can take a look at the radio blog at the following address: http://chicagoradiospotlight.blogspot.com - maybe you’ll learn some stuff about me that you don’t know- or, don’t care about…

It seems like, coincidentally, I’ve heard from a lot of radio people lately, for various reasons. Radio, like television, has been going through a lot of changes- cutbacks, consolidations, shifting of personalities-and some of it is pretty confusing, even to the people who work in that medium. I always enjoyed working in radio, and, as I state in that question and answer session that you’ll find on the other end of the above link, I’d certainly like to do it again someday- but, I’ve also had some of the strangest business situations of my career that happened in the field of radio. I’ve also known some of the most devious back-stabbers I’ve ever seen in broadcasting lurking in radio.(Don’t worry, I’ve run across a few in TV as well- I think there’s a broadcasting law that we have to have equal-opportunity back-stabbers…) I know I wrote a previous blog about my radio days…I could write a lot more, but some of it might not be very complimentary to certain people, and I’m not the type to air out TOO much dirty laundry in a public forum…"