Thursday, August 18, 2011

Mancow

During the signoff of Q-101 last month, everyone that had been on the station during it's alternative rock hey-day came back to participate in the farewell. Everyone, that is, except the biggest star from that era, Mancow.

He tells Robert Feder this morning why he said no: "They had ratings with me, but they never appreciated what they had,” he said of his former co-workers. “I found them to be a bunch of selfish, unappreciative people when I worked with them. Lazy, miserable, ultrahip nobodies who loved to hear themselves talk. They’d celebrate this local music show [Local 101] with 10 people listening, and over here you’ve got Mancow with millions. Why was I not the hero? I’ll never know.”

I think that quote explains Mancow better than any other thing I've ever heard him say. It must not be easy walking around with such a giant chip on your shoulder.